Friday, April 11, 2014

Poverty and Criminal Justice in the United States


In a blog published by Carolina Vazquez titled Poverty and Criminal Justice in the United States, Ms. Vazquez details the plight of the poor in the United States.  She comments on topics ranging from the poverty stricken public not getting fair treatment in a Judicial environment to how public schools in a poor area should be subsidized.  I will comment on her opinion on investing in our public schools.

Just to give some background, I’ve worked in the trenches with Dobie middle school running an after-school program called Launch Pad the Center  and I will tell you that it is true, this specific school needs more money.  It was mind bending how Dobie is being managed.  Not to be too dramatic, but when I was volunteering at Dobie, I felt unsafe. I can’t even imagine how some of the students there felt. I will also tell you working closely with Teachers, they are stressed and don’t get much support from the district

I’ve always wondered why kids that live in middle and higher income brackets are set up for success, through education and sports.  I mean I get it, funding comes from taxes generated by property owner’s that live in that district.  So essentially, the more money you have the more fiscal support there is.  But is that right? 

I say that every child needs to be given the same opportunities it shouldn’t matter what side of the track they reside.  I say staff that work with students should be given the same support and protection equally across the board.  In my opinion it is absolutely shameful that just because you live in a poverty opportunity to succeed is poor. What is even more despicable is we have Politician’s sitting on their hands doing nothing! 

The good news is citizens are now taking some action.  There is an article online  
Shortchanging Districts a lawsuit addressing this issue. Our children are our future we should invest with intention in our future!

No comments: