Saturday, April 26, 2014

Fly, Fight and Win



It would make sense if the title of this blog doesn’t ring a bell.  You would have had to serve in the Air Force to realize it is our Mission statement. Next to God, my wife and my family, my military career has been a huge part of who I am.  I’ve had the pleasure of serving active duty Navy in the early 90’s and still serve today.  I bring this to your attention because I’d like to share my experiences of how Government has impacted then and now.

In the 1990’s we had approximately 2.1 million members of our Military, today it is 1.4 million; data that I’ve researched reflect that the number of conflicts we were involved with almost 25 years ago hasn’t changed much . So what I’m saying is we still the same number of conflicts but with less personnel.  The bottom line is the Government is aggressively downsizing the Military.
It’s no great surprise that our economy is in a terrible state.  But the reality is we have a duty to protect this great nation and we do.  The problem is because we are fiscally hemorrhaging and it is directly impacting the livelihood of those who serve and their families.  In the 90’s when I was deployed, I never worried about getting money back home to my wife.  Today as I look back, I’m grateful I didn’t have to deal with that!  Folks who have never had a spouse deploy will never understand the stress of having a loved on away from home, it is at times unbearable. 

Months ago while Congress were “trying” to resolve/pass a budget, the public for the most part wasn’t aware that those who serve in the military were not getting paid.  Let me do my best to illustrate this situation; spouse is on deployment fulfilling their commitment, spouse at home is expecting money to take care of family affairs. Without getting too dramatic, the most putrid, discouraging act this Government has done is not paying Military members during that time. I remember this happening to me during my current obligation.  It was horrible!
I’d ask my chain of command, when will I get paid?  Their response, once the budget is approved.  Heck I promise you no one was holding up Congress’s paycheck. 

I understand this Country is in great duress due to the myriad of self-inflicted conundrums that even the most intellectually gifted can’t seem to figure out.  But this isn’t one of them.  This is easy! The bottom line is if were are to defend and protect this great Country and its resources and we call on our men and women to sacrifice what is best for America including the greatest sacrifice of all, themselves.   Why don’t we just take care of them?  Increase the size of the Forces so we can shorten deployments, which would give those returning from deployment time to get back to normalcy.   And in the name of doing what is just plain right, keep paying those who serve!

No comments: